Social Media has come a long way. What started out as a place for teens to “connect” has become a serious and important marketing and advertising tool for business.
With 72% of online adults using the Social Sites, 91% of Millennials using Social Media and the fastest growing demographic of adults 65 and older Social Media is not just a place for teens to hang out anymore. (Pew Research)
Just 5 years ago there were only a handful of Social Media Professionals and only the big companies had employees devoted to Social Media. Flash forward to today and Social Media Professionals are everywhere. Businesses of all sizes are hiring Social Media Managers or Consultants, marketing firms now specialize in Social Media and many of the big manufacturers are providing Social Media service programs to their vendors.
While some businesses understand the importance of Social Media and have devoted most of their Marketing and Advertising budgets to Social Media, many are opting to use the “tools” their suppliers or parent companies provide or are swayed by the rock-bottom pricing to get onto the Social Sites. These services tend to be very inexpensive and many business owners think “just being there” is enough.
Unfortunately, “just being there” isn’t enough. Most of the lower priced or supplier provided Social Media “services” are typically a one size fits all, minimal involvement, activity plan.
Posting 2 or 3 times a week was a great strategy 6 years ago, but now if you are only posting 2 or 3 days a week your updates probably are not being seen by anyone other than the person posting the update.
To be seen by Friends of your Page, you should be posting every day. If Facebook does not see daily activity on your page, it will not put your updates out to anyone. (Facebook has a very intricate algorithm that decides what content is put into a News Feed – if you are posting a couple times a week your Page isn’t making the cut.)
While a couple hundred dollars a month seems like a real deal, it really isn’t doing your business any favors on Facebook. You would be better off saving your money and not posting updates. The results will be the same – not much of anything!
Additionally, your Social Updates should be increasing your Search Rank (search engine optimization – SEO) outside of the Social Sites. Posting daily with keywords and trending information will assist with SEO.
If you want a Social Media Marketing Campaign that will actually get you visibility, branding, SEO, warm leads, referrals and generate revenue ask yourself the following questions about your current Social Media Services, if you don’t answer ‘Yes” to these questions you may want to reconsider your current Social Media Plan:
- Does your current plan provide updates to more than one Social Network?
- Are there at least 5 updates a week to your accounts (1 daily Monday-Friday)?
- Are the daily updates relevant to your audience?
- Does your current plan provide custom-researched content for daily updates?
- Does your current plan incorporate hashtags and keywords in updates?
- Does your current plan include monitoring accounts for comments/questions/feedback?
- Does your current plan include updates other than Sales Messages?
- Does your current plan include a Daily Advertising Campaign?
Answer ‘Yes” to these questions and you definitely need a new Social Media plan:
- Are your Social Updates just sales messages?
- Does your Social Media Service post the update on your page on their other clients account?
- After posting the update, does the Social Media Service go back to account to check for comments?
An effective Social Media Strategy combines a strong Marketing plan with a targeted Local Ad Campaign, including:
- Posting updates to accounts daily.
- Posting content relevant to audience to generate engagement.
- Monitoring accounts for customer feedback/questions.
- Managing engagement on accounts.
- Running a daily Ad Campaign or promoting updates.
- Targeting specific demographics (including competitor’s customers) in daily Ad Campaigns.
If you are not improving your online visibility, increasing warm leads and referrals, improving SEO or generating sales you may want to re-think your Social Media Strategy.
You get what you pay for – if you want a Marketing Plan that works, but still won’t break the bank, give me a call!